National organisations

Action for Advocacy

The central point of information on independent advocacy.

Advisory Centre for Education (ACE)

Provide advice and information to parents and carers on a wide range of school based issues including exclusion, admissions, special education needs, bullying and attendance.

Council for Disabled Children (CDC)

CDC aims to make a difference to the lives of disabled children and children with special educational needs.  They do this by influencing government policy, working with local agencies to translate policy into practice and producing guidance on issues affecting the lives of disabled children.

Contact a Family

Provide advice, information and support to the parents of all disabled children.

Coram Children's Legal Centre

Provide legal advice and representation to children, their carers and professionals throughout the UK.

Department for Education

Government department responsible for education and children's services.

Help and advice with education and learning.

Equality and Human Rights Commission

Information about the Commission's work on disability equality.

Family Lives

Provide help and support to anyone caring for children - parents, grandparents, step-parents and relatives.

Independent Panel for Special Education Advice (IPSEA)

Provide free legally based advice to families who have children with special educational needs.

Network 81

A national network of parents working towards properly resourced inclusive education for children with special educational needs.


A resource for parents & professionals caring for children and young people with Autism / Asperger Syndrome and other learning disabilities.

Free, on-demand advice to parents and carers of 5-19 year olds divided into three simple categories - learning, behaviour and wellbeing.


Support for brothers and sisters of disabled children and adults. 

Tribunals Service - Special Educational Needs and Disability Appeals

Information about the First-tier Tribunal dealing with special educational needs and disability (SEND). SEND hear appeals against decisions of local authorities about children with special educational needs.